Tuesday, October 26, 2021

The doctor visit

The butterfly cakes I improvised for Allison's birthday.  It was going to be a double layered round cake, but it occurred to me as I was baking them that I could do a butterfly...and then I realized two butterflies was better and easier!
 

The day after her birthday this year, Allison was to see the doctor for her well-check visit.  She was excited.  She loves going to the dentist and the doctor.  The morning of her doctor visit, we were in the car, having just dropped Nicole off at school.  Allison says:

A:  I like both of them.

Me:  Who?

A:  The doctor and the dentist.

Me:  Why?

A:  Because…….they help people.

At her appointment, the doctor advised Allison could get her kindergarten shots now, so she wouldn't remember them.  I told her, "Oh, Allie likes shots."  The doctor said, "We don't get much of that!"  

When the nurse came in, Allison was giddy with excitement.  She told the nurse that she liked shots; they tickle.  She watched the 1 inch needle go into her thigh, and just grinned broadly.  When the second shot was administered into her other leg, I could tell it hurt a little because she flinched, but then she just giggled, and we talked about how much she loves shots.  She was so energized after coming out of her doctor appointment!

When Allison decides something, it's decided.  It's pretty pointless to ever get her to change her mind through persuasion.  If it's fun, of course, she'll often follow.  I guess she decided shots are the best!

 

Proudly displaying her band-aid after getting her shot

 

Unfortunately, a month later, I took both Nicole and Allison to get their flu shots, and Nicole requested that she go first, because she thought that would help her be braver.  Well, that didn't work.  She cowered behind me as if I were a shield between her and the nurse, trembling and pretty much in tears.  The nurse was eventually like, "I have a hundred more of these to administer today, so we gotta do this."  So when it was Allison's turn, she reflected Nicole's fear--though not to the same extreme.  I've learned my lesson:  Don't take Allison along when Nicole gets shots, or at least have Allison go first!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rice

Tim bought a fancy new rice cooker and showed Allie how to make rice with it. Allie LOVES rice. After the rice was made, Tim mixed black bea...