Monday, November 25, 2019

Our field

Our new front door has a hook for hanging wreaths, so I've wanted to make a holiday wreath to hang on our door.  Yesterday, when we were walking past our huge field to get to church, we saw extremely tall grass, five or six feet tall.  I decided to try to make a homemade wreath using the straw from the field - a very rustic one.  I didn't have a round wire frame, so I googled, "how to make a straw wreath."  Joann's website was the least helpful:

How To Make A Fall Straw Wreath

...DIRECTIONS:
Trim flowers and secure to wreath using hot glue. Style as desired.
Adhere wood discs for unique detailing.

It appeared there were no online instructions for making a wreath without the wire frame, so I winged it.  I decided to use sticks, tied together with twisty ties, for the frame.  I ran into some obstacles.  The sticks I found to make a frame were too brittle and broke when I bent them too far.  Also, getting the frame to be round was virtually impossible.  I eventually found some living twigs and sawed those free with my scissors, and they were flexible enough to bend together into a circular fashion.  I wrapped the straw around my completed triangle frame, and then used a green ribbon I had on hand to secure the straw.  It proved to be too short, so I tied it to a red ribbon, which also proved to be too short, so I tied that to a golden ribbon.  I guess this is why I save all those pretty ribbons that come on gifts!  There were some dead wildflowers, which I used to ornament the wreath.  My fingers were so cold by the end!

Not the prettiest wreath, but I'd rather a free homemade wreath than one that costs $15 by Joann's.

My first attempt

Cleaned up a little

The super long straw we used for the wreath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rice

Tim bought a fancy new rice cooker and showed Allie how to make rice with it. Allie LOVES rice. After the rice was made, Tim mixed black bea...